Monday, January 6, 2014

Strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.



I'm already way out on a limb here; I may as well begin sawing. I've always considered myself a Christian, but in recent years the label has taken on increasingly negative connotations. I believe I know why.  The concept of being a chosen and exclusive people is immediately problematic.  That’s why the Bible is peppered through and through with variations of the word humility. Early Christians were called to go out as sheep among wolves and be harmless as doves.  They were called to love their enemies, turn the other cheek, do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with their God. Christians were called to spread the good news that Christ and His teaching provided answers to all their problems.  Those answers were Hope, Faith & Charity.  In short, they were called to love their God above all things, and love all people, particularly sinners and their enemies, as they loved themselves.  If you've read and believe the Scriptures, then you have to believe those were not merely suggestions, but requirements. There are sincere but mislead believers all over the world, praying for Revival, but there will be no Revival until self-righteous pretenders actually repent and follow the teachings of Christ. Today Christianity has been largely hijacked by big money and politics.  Too often in organized religion today, love is given lip service, but followers are encouraged to beat others into submission when other attempts fail, and to force their beliefs on others in any way that proves effective. Churches have expenses, and once again the love of and need for money becomes the root of evil.  I love Christ with all my heart, but I’m increasingly hesitant to call myself a Christian.  That breaks my heart, but that is how I feel. SC

No comments:

Post a Comment