Wednesday, August 22, 2012

THE VOICE OF IGNORANCE, Sound familiar?



“While I was cooking supper the old man took a swig or two and got sort of warmed up, and went to ripping again. He had been drunk over in town, and laid in the gutter all night, and he was a sight to look at. A body would a thought he was Adam -- he was just all mud. Whenever his liquor begun to work he most always went for the govment. This time he says: --"Call this a govment! why, just look at it and see what it's like. –- A man can't get his rights in a govment like this. Sometimes I've a mighty notion to just leave the country for good and all. Yes, and I TOLD 'em so; I told old Thatcher so to his face. Lots of 'em heard me, and can tell what I said. Says I, for two cents I'd leave the blamed country and never come a-near it agin. Them's the very words. -- "Oh, yes, this is a wonderful govment, wonderful.-- It was 'lection day, and I was just about to go and vote myself if I warn't too drunk to get there; but when they told me there was a State in this country where they'd let that nigger vote, I drawed out. I says I'll never vote agin. Them's the very words I said; they all heard me; and the country may rot for all me --I'll never vote agin as long as I live."--Pap was a going on so he never noticed where his old limber legs was taking him to, so he went head-over-
heels over the tub of salt pork and barked both shins, and the rest of his speech was all the hottest kind of language.”
MARK TWAIN,
{selected excerpts from chapter 6 of Huckleberry Finn} 

No comments:

Post a Comment