Monday, February 27, 2012

The Casebeer Boys


The Serenity Prayer
“God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.”
Reinhold Niebuhr

When I was a young man, the blissful inexperience of youth made achieving a state of serenity deceptively easy; the idea that there were things I couldn’t change was foreign and unthinkable; courage was effortless and inherent in my youthful sense of invincibility, and wisdom was simply a matter of using my head. At 60, The Serenity Prayer has become my mantra. Serenity is now a priority in my life; the things I have little or no control over press in around me like the very air I breathe; courage is the faith that tomorrow I’ll still be breathing, and wisdom is faithfully repeating The Serenity Prayer.
STC

No comments:

Post a Comment