Friday, September 13, 2024

I will, if you will. SC

For a number of years, every Sunday morning, I spent an hour or so visiting with several dear friends as we served as door greeters at a nondenominational church. Over time, I became a bit OC in my determination to greet each and every incoming individual with a handshake or a hug. Some were receptive. Others, not so much. It became a bit of a challenge and a competition. One of my fellow greeters was somewhat my senior. Each day, upon his arrival, I'd enquire how he was doing, and he would invariably reply he was up and Adam (at 'em). Then he would grin and amend his comment by suggesting he was up anyway. He was not so sure about Adam. The name Adam, of course, has some Biblical context. Adam of the Bible, as we well know, enjoyed apples and was prone to be led astray. Each of us contends, minute by minute, with our Adam nature. I know, in my case, my old robe of flesh tends to catch on this and snag on that and hinder my very best efforts to behave. Having been burdened by this cross for many years, I recognize this universal defect in others, and I tend to be sympathetic. Anyway, I try to be sympathetic. As descendants of Adam, we each deal each and every day with our desires, some entirely wholesome; others, not so much. We need to cut each other a little slack. We need to admit our own challenges and gently encourage each other to do better. I will, if you will. SC

No comments:

Post a Comment